You Just Have to Know How

Posted in Gear by

image

Look at me! Look at me! Look at me NOW! It is fun to have fun But you have to know how.

– The Cat in the Hat

One of the top three ways we have fun is reading. Truly. We read every night and listen to books on tape (digital files more accurately) whenever we are driving around – which is um, always.

Our family picks for most fun books:

1. Cat in the Hat and Cat in the Hat Comes Back (Vooooom!)
  2. Good News, Bad News
  3. Dangerous

And best audio books – all three are series so we will include info about the series and each book in it for you.

1. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place
  2. The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates
  3. The Magic Tree House
  4. For the little bit older crowd The Brixton Brothers
Previous Post Next Post

32 Comments

• Reply Suzanna Buell

Where can you find good quality audio books for kids?

July 14, 2016 at 7:06 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

We have been members of Audible for three years and use them for all our audio books. We started listening in the car to old cassette tapes of The Magic Treehouse and once we had listened to the first eight, we wanted more!

With Audible, your first download is free. We have used it on iPhone 4, iPhone 5 and now iPhone 6 and have never had an issue. We get one credit a month with our membership and that gets you once book (or with the early Magic Treehouse, you get a set of books like this one that is Book 1 to 8. Depending on how much we listen (usually equivalent to how much we drive!) we sometimes need to buy extra credits and those come in threes.

One really helpful feature is that if you don’t care for the book (or the narrator) you can return it and get your credit refunded. We haven’t used that feature too often but once in a while when the book is too scary.

Reply with your kids’ ages if you would like some recommends, we have listened to so many wonderful series that I would not have known about if it weren’t for the recorded versions.

July 14, 2016 at 8:53 pm
  • Reply Suzanna Buell

Wow that’s great! I’m definitely going to have to look into it. As much as I love reading out loud, having audible books would be great for those times when you are just to tired to read!

July 14, 2016 at 9:19 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

So happy that you love reading out loud to your kids – me too. It is one of my favorite things. I read every page of the Harry Potter series to my older son and it is a very treasured memory for both us. I am very proud to share that, on a good day, I can read page 18 of The Cat in Hat in one breath 🙂 (want to try it? You can take our Cat in the Hat Page 18 Challenge here!) What are your favorite books to read out loud to the kids?

July 14, 2016 at 11:48 pm
  • Reply Suzanna Buell

My son loves trains and dogs so we read a lot of those books! His new favorite is the Secret Life of Pets! They came out with a few books based on the movie so he has a couple new ones we have been reading!

July 15, 2016 at 1:40 am
  • Reply Cindy

I absolutely love reading “on the night you were born” to my 2 1/2 year old daughter. One of her lovies that she sleeps with is a polar bear and in the story it talks about polar bears dancing on the night she was born

August 8, 2016 at 1:35 am
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

On the Night You Were Born

That is so sweet – you are making me cry! I love that her lovie is in the story! That is such a beautiful connection! She is very fortunate to have a sweet Mama like you that reads to her every night – that is one of the greatest gifts you can give your child – focused attention engaged in an activity you both love. So happy! Thanks for sharing this! For all our sweet Active Mamas, here is link to the story in case you’d like to get it – On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman. Looks like it comes in board book, hard cover and paper back.

August 10, 2016 at 6:18 pm
  • Reply Lisa N.

I love to read my kids whatever books they choose from the library, they like all kinds so it’s always a mix. Recently we just read a great series talking about bullying that I thought was perfect for preparing to go back to school. It’s called “The Weird Series” by Erin Frankel. It consists of 3 different books that are essential the same story, but told from three different perspectives; the child being bullied in “Weird”, a bystander in “Dare”, and the bully in “Tough”. They are recommended for ages 5-9, so they were perfect for my kids ages 6 and 10, but even my 3 year old sat and listened to them. I also love that they have different activities at the end with strategies for everyone. Perfect for a teacher (I’ll definitely use them in my classroom when I go back to teaching) and parents to use with their elementary aged kids.

August 8, 2016 at 4:32 am
  • Reply Tera Lamp

My boys love captain underpants and spiderwick books! We usually go to our library once every 2 weeks and check out a lot of books.

August 8, 2016 at 5:24 am
  • Reply Tori fortney

My son (4) and my daughter (3) are really into the Jack and Annie Magic tree house books😋! We read 3 chapters every night. Admittedly I like them too. I don’t have a ton of time to do adult reading so I guess that will suffice 😂😂

August 8, 2016 at 1:36 pm
  • Reply Michelle Warden

My son is 21 months and he loves:
    Munch
    Dear Zoo
    On the Night You Were Born
    The Crown on Your Head
    In the Forest
    Dada
    That’s Not My Snowman (and series)
    Children’s Read Aloud Bible

August 8, 2016 at 2:24 pm
  • Reply Jenny

My favorite books to read to my kids have been the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie serie, The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day and other Anthony books, and

August 8, 2016 at 2:34 pm
  • Reply Rene McConnel

I love reading any books my girls will listen to. Normally there seems to be a book of the week that we read over and over. Currently it’s Green Eggs and ham-which I love, and a book on animals

August 8, 2016 at 3:11 pm
  • Reply Katrina D

Lately all we have been reading is the Magic Tree House series. They are super fun to read but teach about history at the same time. I love reading them as much as my seven year old does!

August 8, 2016 at 3:20 pm
  • Reply Melissa

Love this! Thank you for sharing your adventure, family and ideas with us

August 8, 2016 at 3:38 pm
  • Reply Nancy Kallas

Definitely Dr. Suess books. They are so fun to read.

August 8, 2016 at 4:29 pm
  • Reply Elizabeth

We love Cat in the Hat. Our school does some great activities in March for Read Across America.

August 8, 2016 at 4:42 pm
  • Reply Sara Stevens

I like to find the funny ones that have a lesson to be learned. We love the library. The librarians help out a lot to find the good books.

August 8, 2016 at 4:46 pm
  • Reply jESSICA vOSS

Dr Suess will never get “old”! LOVE IT!

August 8, 2016 at 5:03 pm
  • Reply Jodee

My boys love books that are silly, strange and funny. Favorites are The Book with No Pictures, anything by Mo Willems (Pigeon, Elephant and Piggy, Knuffle Bunny), Roald Dahl (The BFG, Chocolate Factory, Danny the Champion of the World, and others), and the Fly Guy series.

August 8, 2016 at 5:33 pm
  • Reply Jennifer B.

Some of our top favorites are (no matter how old my kids are):
    1. Kiss Goodnight
    2. Little Blue Truck
    3. Richard Scarry’s Best Mother Goose Ever

August 8, 2016 at 5:34 pm
  • Reply Megan

My kids love Curious George books and my oldest loves the Princess in Black Books, but there aren’t many books they don’t enjoy!

August 8, 2016 at 6:30 pm
  • Reply Abbie De La garza

my son’s favorite is Pete the Cat and Ninja Turtles, and my favorite is Love you Forever

August 8, 2016 at 7:02 pm
  • Reply Katie M

I love to read classic books to my daughter like if you give a mouse a cookie

August 9, 2016 at 12:32 am
  • Reply Janelle Geesling

I have 2 boys ages 5 and 3 1/2 so any books that incorporate trucks, dinosaurs, or tools are always a hit! But I love going back to the classics of “Danny and the Dinosaur”, “Mouse Soup”, “Harry the Dirty Dog”, “Frog and Toad”, etc. Also, any Richard Scarry book is sure to keep their attention for hours with all the details!!

August 9, 2016 at 1:47 pm
  • Reply Sara Harrop

My daughter is loving The Three Little Pigs right now and I love the Baby’s First 100 Words. Each page has 8-12 pictures o different things with the words and we use it as a seek and find book with my 21 mo daughter right now.

August 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm
  • Reply Julie A

Every night, I read I’ll See you in the Morning by Mike Jolley and Morique Moriuchi. It’s a bedtime ritual that I hope to continue with my daughter for many years to come.

August 10, 2016 at 12:42 am
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

That is so sweet, I love it. Your daughter will have such fond and wonderful memories of bedtime, so lovely. I don’t know this story but am headed online to find out all about it now! Thank you for sharing this!

August 14, 2016 at 8:02 pm
  • Reply Krista Z

The Dr Seuss books for sure! My favorite as a kid (and one I read my son all the time) is Are You My Mother.

August 10, 2016 at 3:34 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

We love Dr Seuss and Cat in the Hat comes back along with The Sneeches are our family’s favorites! I especially enjoy and appreciate the expressions in the drawings, they are brilliant!

August 14, 2016 at 8:00 pm
  • Reply Sarah L

My daughter loves animals! so her favorites are “Is your mama a llama?” “Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother Too?” & “Down on the Farm!”

August 10, 2016 at 5:05 pm