Inspired by the Musical Instrument Museum and the Moms Who Take Their Kids to Visit

Posted in Showcase by

Seeing a Mom spending all day at a museum with her kids makes my heart feel like it was the composer of the Bronze Horse Overture, my favorite classical music piece of all time.

What a joy to know that there is a museum that is so outstanding at engaging children in all aspects of music. And how inspirational that there are Moms like you taking your kids to experience it. I honor both the museum and this Mom. Follow both on Instragram – Musical Instrument Museum here and Jodee here.

Previous Post Next Post

35 Comments

• Reply Randee Beimer

I went on a field trip with a bunch of 3rd graders…. They all had a blast!

August 25, 2016 at 3:57 am
  • Reply Cindy

very cool! Didn’t even know about this!

August 25, 2016 at 4:21 am
  • Reply Lindsey Joslin

This place has been on my list!

August 25, 2016 at 1:58 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Ours too! We can’t wait to go space – space we have a trip planned for September, maybe we’ll see you there?

August 29, 2016 at 12:06 am
  • Reply Melissa

The MIM is an amazing place to spend a hot summer day learning about instruments from all over the world!

August 25, 2016 at 2:10 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Yes! We just can’t wait to go! Where their instruments there that you never seen before? Are you able to play some of them? 🎹 What was your kids’ favorite?

August 29, 2016 at 12:08 am
  • Reply Lisa N.

I have never been but definitely want to take my kids soon. Especially since my oldest plays the piano and viola. I had heard that it was better suited for older kids, like 8+, but this Mama & kiddo seemed to have a great time!

August 25, 2016 at 2:20 pm
  • Reply Danielle R

Need to do it over several days so much stuff to see.

August 25, 2016 at 2:22 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Yes! That is a fantastic idea!

August 27, 2016 at 7:50 pm
  • Reply Catherine S.

Everyone has been talking about this place lately. It looks like fun. Need to check it out.

August 25, 2016 at 2:35 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

I know, right? I can’t believe that we haven’t been yet. I guess I thought it was for older kids and grownups but it really sounds like there’s a lot of inner active fun musical activities for kids of all ages. We are going in September, I will let you know how it is!

August 25, 2016 at 11:02 pm
  • Reply Alexa

We’ve never been, but would love to go sometime! We just added a new little boy to our family 4 weeks ago so we’re always looking for fun, indoor activities for our family!

August 25, 2016 at 2:49 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Congratulations on the new addition to your family! Especially in the summer (which it really is five months here if not six) it is so nice to have indoor activities that your kids enjoy. We have not been to MIM yet either but we are going in September 🎼

August 25, 2016 at 10:56 pm
  • Reply Katherine

Thanks for this, we need to check it out soon!

August 25, 2016 at 4:44 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Us too! We haven’t been yet either and we are just dying to go. I guess I didn’t realize that there were so many different things for the kids to do to keep them interested for The better part of the day! my older son plays the violin so I thought he might want to go but it really sounds like it’s a fun place for everyone. We are going in September, I will let you know about our experience.

August 25, 2016 at 11:00 pm
  • Reply Jodee

We have gone twice and plan to get a membership this fall. MIM is one of the best museums anywhere that our family has ever had to pleasure to visit.

August 25, 2016 at 4:57 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

That is very high praise from an active mom like you. Your dedication to taking your kids to new places like MIM and sharing those outings with your beautiful photographs is the inspiration for this post, for all these comments. Think of all the joy and learning and fun that’s so many of our moms and their kids will now experience because you shared the love ❤️. One Mom can make such a difference in the lives of so many and you have done just that. Thank you. I honor you and the Musical Instrument Museum in carrying out its mission so successfully

August 25, 2016 at 10:54 pm
      • Reply Jodee

Thanks Katrina, you couldn’t be sweeter! I know you will enjoy your visit this month. Don’t miss the calliope demonstration, usually at 12pm and around 4pm. The nickelodeons were fun to watch and listen to, and you have to try the theremin–so many others! There are performances and classes, too, but I haven’t had the chance to enjoy those. The video at the beginning tells it well, that music is not just entertainment but our common language. I can’t wait to hear about your experience!

September 10, 2016 at 4:40 am
        • Reply Katrina Sherk

I am so grateful to you for allowing me to share your beautiful photo and for sparking ALL this interest in MIM – I smile to think how many kids and Moms will make memories, enjoy the exhibits, learn and make and listen to music all because of your inspiration. I honor you and your path of motherhood. It is lovely to see.

September 11, 2016 at 5:10 am
        • Reply Katrina Sherk

I have made note all these wonderful suggestions and for sure take advantage of all your recommendations. Thank you again for sharing your experiences and your amazing photo with me and all our readers. You are the best.

September 11, 2016 at 5:11 am
  • Reply Megan

I’ve never been here yet since it is so far from the west valley but I may need to check it out after all.

August 25, 2016 at 6:59 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

From all I’ve learned from our Active Moms, it is worth the trip. I’m planning a visit in September so I can let you know what I think too! It is far for me – not as far as for you – but maybe if you could make a day of it! I am so always excited to try something new and with our Moms saying six hours isn’t long enough to do everything, I know it has to be spectacular!

August 25, 2016 at 7:49 pm
  • Reply Lisa H

My husband took his brother from out of town there a few years ago and they spent the whole day there…

August 25, 2016 at 9:08 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Wow! The whole day! Are you going to go check it out next? I’m going in September, with all this wonderful feedback I can’t wait to get in there and see what it’s all about!

August 25, 2016 at 10:41 pm
  • Reply Meghan

Have not gone yet. Would really enjoy taking my 3 year old.

August 26, 2016 at 12:22 am
  • Reply Andrea W

I used to live near here, pre-kids, and spent all day there. I can imagine spending some good time there with kids, as long as no one needs a nap.

August 26, 2016 at 4:04 am
  • Reply Amy Fortenbury

I spent an entire day here and didn’t get through all of it. I haven’t been since I’ve had my 2 girls. I’m going to have to add it to our list of outings. We are a family that loves music.

August 26, 2016 at 4:51 am
  • Reply Christen Armstrong

Since I have just moved to Phoenix recently, I have been researching places to visit that are indoors. I have read that this is one of the best in the country! This is certainly on my list of places to go with my son.

August 26, 2016 at 7:56 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Welcome! We are so happy you are here. Where did you live before? Yes! Indoor places are so important here where summer is 5+ months long! We are very excited about visiting MIM – we haven’t been yet but I’ve lived here always! One of our Moms has three son and she spent six hours at the museum and said that wasn’t long enough. We are going on a day when we will have plenty of time. Let us know how your trip goes!

August 27, 2016 at 3:44 am
  • Reply Valerie Gardner

I still haven’t been but plan on it! Looks like a lot of fun.

August 26, 2016 at 11:21 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

At least I’m not the only one! We are going in September and promise to share our experience! I can’t wait! Sounds like there is so much for the kids to do!

August 26, 2016 at 11:38 pm
  • Reply Jenna Whitteaker

Great place. Love their classes.

August 27, 2016 at 1:28 am
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

So happy to hear! I didn’t know they had classes too – what kind of classes? Any you recommend? I am getting more excited by the day – we are going in September.

August 27, 2016 at 3:39 am
  • Reply Lisa Molangi

My husband and I went for his work party. But we haven’t taken our 4 kids yet. They would love it!

August 27, 2016 at 11:29 pm
  • Reply chickie brewer

I have never been there.. But it looks like a fun and educational place.

August 29, 2016 at 4:31 pm