Mission Successful Johnny Rockets

Posted in Where To by

Whenever we visit Arizona Mills, to be bewitched by the sea creatures at Sealife Aquarium or to pedal ourselves to the ceiling at Legoland Discovery Center, we always end our adventure at Johnny Rockets.

image

Two little burgers perfectly cooked with the cheese melted just enough over the edges make a tasty treat (and we  always have one to take home to enjoy later). The fries are hot and crispy and readily employed to make the smiley face of ketchup an art project.

image

I always get the chili dog (not pictured – it actually is impossible to take a photograph of a chili dog that makes it look even mildly inviting) and was too full to try the Rolo Shake, a decision I am still regretting. My son got the Vanilla Shake with whipped cream on top and mentioned, per usual, that while he didn’t want to hurt my feelings, that this shake was just a little bit better than our homemade ones 🙂

Click to view Johnny Rockets locationsthere are six in the Valley. You can see their menu here.

Previous Post Next Post

71 Comments

• Reply Randee Beimer

Haven’t been to Jonny Rockets in a while, but their shakes are yummy.
    We tend to get our shakes at Culver’s, just the best!

February 16, 2017 at 3:06 am
  • Reply Megan

Sonic is the only place I’ve had one recently!!

February 16, 2017 at 3:08 am

Yum and yum! What kind do you get? My son LOVES the strawberry shakes there 🙂

February 16, 2017 at 3:09 am
  • Reply Sparkle Parsell

The salted caramel crunch shake Carl’s Jr is delicious. But I think homemade is always best!

February 16, 2017 at 3:11 am
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Goodness! I heart heart heart salted caramel! Will try Carl’s Jr. And I’m sorry to share this with you – but you HAVE to try Zinburger’s salted caramel shake. We split it between two people – it is heaven! Truly! When we do homemade, we always do vanilla. How about you? Are you more creative than we are?

February 16, 2017 at 4:16 am
  • Reply Angela Gomez

Ooh… Johnny Rockets does have some great shakes. One of the most recent ones I’ve enjoyed, that was memorable, was from The Stand. Tried the regular vanilla and it was good. I will definitely venture out and try another flavor next time we visit.

February 16, 2017 at 4:08 am
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Tell me about The Stand! I’ve never heard of it! Must know where it is. And you recommend the vanilla? We’ve got it on our list! Thanks for sweet tip!

February 16, 2017 at 4:12 am
  • Reply Jess

I love Jonny rockets, their fries are so good especially with a strawberry shake!

February 16, 2017 at 4:42 am
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Good call! We’ll have to try that next time! I love the music and the old fashionedness of it all! (same reason I love See’s Candy!!!)

February 16, 2017 at 5:05 am
  • Reply Lauren

Johnny Rockets are great!

February 16, 2017 at 4:59 am
  • Reply Kimberly D.

I love shakes from Smashburger!

February 16, 2017 at 5:07 am
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

I haven’t tried one from Smashburger – what flavor do you get? How about the kids?

February 16, 2017 at 5:40 am
  • Reply Margo

Haven’t had Johnny Rockets in years but remember them being good. I feel like they also had good rootbeer floats. Lately I’m loving Culvers milkshakes and concrete mixers

February 16, 2017 at 6:23 am
  • Reply Patty

I always sneak part of my husband’s shake since I never have room for my own.

February 16, 2017 at 6:44 am

Smart! Where do you guys go for your “shared” shakes? 🙂

February 16, 2017 at 5:59 pm
      • Reply Patty

He’s a big shake person, so anyplace that uses real ice cream. 🙂

February 16, 2017 at 6:03 pm
        • Reply Katrina Sherk

I see! Real ice cream is the key. Do they make shakes at Sub Zero and places like that? I’ve only ever had a bowl of ice cream. I bet those would be good 🙂

February 16, 2017 at 7:06 pm
  • Reply Nancy

We like Culvers and Red Robin make a yummy shake too. 🙂

February 16, 2017 at 7:33 am
  • Reply Kate Gookin

Sonic! They can make any flavor combo any time! My favorite is a strawberry banana caramel shake. Yum!

February 16, 2017 at 11:19 am
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Love it! You are so creative – that sounds delish! I didn’t know you could mix up your own shake like that – we usually get the slushies. We heart Sonic – there is one waaay too close to our house 🙂

February 16, 2017 at 5:56 pm
  • Reply Becky s

Sonic and culver are yummy

February 16, 2017 at 4:08 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Yes and yes! What kind do you get? I’m never very adventurous, I just get vanilla 🙂 but I do love caramel and am open to suggestions!

February 16, 2017 at 5:48 pm
  • Reply Mary L.

Culver’s shakes are delicious.

February 16, 2017 at 4:09 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

We love Culver’s – usually go in for a concrete. Will have to try the shakes – what is your favorite? What do your kids like?

February 16, 2017 at 5:47 pm
      • Reply Mary L.

Oh yes, a concrete! If you like malt shakes, give the raspberry malt a try. It’s my new favorite! Last fall, the kids were hooked on pumpkin shakes. Now they are back to their favorite, mint chip shakes. We love the variety at Culver’s.

February 17, 2017 at 12:09 am
  • Reply Katrina D.

Rocket’s shakes are very very good!! Remind of Ruby’s on the Pier in Cali. Yummy!!

February 16, 2017 at 5:03 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Ooooh, a milk shake on the pier – that sounds like the perfect afternoon treat after a beach day. Which city? Soooo many of our moms visit CA each summer, I’d love to share your find 🙂

February 16, 2017 at 5:46 pm
      • Reply Katrina D.

I’ve been to Ruby’s at the end of the Newport pier and the Oceanside pier. There might be a few others I’m missing. Well worth the walk!!!

February 16, 2017 at 5:53 pm
        • Reply Katrina Sherk

“February’s featured shake is Strawberry Banana! With real strawberries and fresh bananas sliced and blended into our rich vanilla ice cream, this shake is pure fruity goodness!” — Ruby’s

null

Ruby’s Diner shakes look delectable and for certain worth a walk to the end of the pier!

Looks like they have locations on Balboa Pier, Huntington Beach Pier and 28 other diners in California in cities that our Active Moms + their families LOVE to visit in summertime like Newport, Laguna, Oceanside, Carlsbad and two in San Diego. See all their locations here (Nevada, Texas, Pennsylvania and New Jersey are all fortunate to have stores too – how about we request for here!!)

February 18, 2017 at 6:20 am
  • Reply Krista Z

Red Robin actually has incredible shakes! Especially the adult ones!

February 16, 2017 at 5:11 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Cheers! Another great place to try for that best of ever milk shake!

February 16, 2017 at 5:45 pm
  • Reply Deb M

We go to Joe’s Farm Grill for birthdays and usually get a chocolate shake. We like to dip our fries in it!

February 16, 2017 at 7:43 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

That is SUCH a great idea! We heart Joe’s Grill – especially during sit outside weather like now! And, as one of the smartest people I know, why haven’t you shared this idea with me before? Maybe we will have to celebrate yours and my birthdays at Joe’s! What do you say, a date? Maybe we should use your bday though because I’m June!

February 16, 2017 at 7:47 pm
  • Reply Tara Ramirez

I LOVE the oreo shakes at burger king! They taste just like the creme filling!

February 16, 2017 at 8:06 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Goodness – how could I not know that Oreo shakes exist? We will try those at Burger King for sure. Yum and more yum! Is that what everyone in your family gets, the Oreo shake?

Okay, now I think we are ALL in for this. Burger King calls it “Blended Delicousness,” I think you would agree? 🙂

February 16, 2017 at 8:38 pm
  • Reply phxbne

love shakes at the habit

February 16, 2017 at 8:14 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

We always go for burgers, now we’ll have to try the shakes at The Habit Burger Grill! Do you go for vanilla or chocolate? How about your kids? We are usually all vanilla 🙂

February 16, 2017 at 8:36 pm
      • Reply phxbne

They are soooo good – and if you can’t finish it they freeze really well. Plus they will do a kid size! Depends on the day – vanilla or strawberry …..and my husband likes the coffee

February 16, 2017 at 8:41 pm
        • Reply Katrina Sherk

Sweet! I never thought of freezing them – that is such a great money-saving, treat-saving tip! I know we’ll all go in for vanilla 🙂 And do they make coffee shakes? I know a couple of friends who would heart that – or do they make a really good cup of coffee?

Does this about right? Right enough to send us to Habit right now that is for sure! Here is a list of all their handmade frozen treats!

February 16, 2017 at 9:16 pm
  • Reply phxbne

sorry – coffee shakes! I love stretching the treat over a couple of days!

February 16, 2017 at 10:08 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Oooooh, I know where my two best mom friends and I are going for a sweet treat! Happy they will be for a coffee shake – and gleeful at my sameness – I’ll get vanilla. I always get the same thing. Everywhere. Just ask my pals 🙂 Don’t even ask me if I even drink coffee or not – more fodder for my coffee-loving friends! Here is what is says on their website, “SHAKES
      Handcrafted and made-to-order. Your choice of chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, mocha, coffee.” Mmmmmm. Vanilla.

February 16, 2017 at 10:15 pm
  • Reply Stephanie Stocker

Culvers or Mcdonalds!

February 17, 2017 at 12:52 am
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Yes and yes! Yum and yum! Did you have the chance to enter our contest to win a $10 McDonald’s gift card? We are all about the white hot chocolate from the McCafe right now, but if you win – you could order shakes all around! Let me know – I can post the link or you can visit our FB page and enter all three current contests and check out our daily events.

February 17, 2017 at 2:52 am
  • Reply Tammy Catterton

I am more a chocoalte shale person love Quicktrip shakes

February 17, 2017 at 3:06 am
  • Reply Amanda B

Smashburger has the best shakes! They use Haagen daz ice cream which is what makes them SO yummy.

February 17, 2017 at 3:08 am
  • Reply jane jakins

wendys

February 17, 2017 at 3:14 am
  • Reply Anita Mitchell

We like Sonic or Braums. I have heard Culver’s are good though.

February 17, 2017 at 3:18 am
  • Reply Gina blades

I agree with Johnny Rockets. Their orange 50/50 shake is the best. A close second is the chocolate chip shake from Baskin-Robbins.

February 17, 2017 at 3:52 am
  • Reply Mya Murphy

Around here, I would go with Burgerville..

February 17, 2017 at 4:38 am
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

And from the beautiful state of Oregon, Burgerville brings us the most delightful shakes including current seasonal offering CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT MILKSHAKE
      Dry-roasted Oregon hazelnuts and rich chocolate blended with real ice cream or nonfat frozen yogurt, then topped with whipped cream and garnished with finely crumbled hazelnuts.

null

Wow. I wonder if I could get one dry-iced and shipped to AZ 🙂 Other shakes include vanilla, chocolate and strawberry and specialty shakes Oreo and Mint, Triple Berry (Marionberry, raspberry and blueberry) and Mocha Perk (Cold-brewed espresso & Ghirardelli® chocolate).

February 18, 2017 at 3:00 pm
  • Reply Leah

Yum! I like the coffee milkshakes at Chic Fil A.

February 17, 2017 at 4:40 am
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

I have some friends who will be very happy to hear that 🙂 My son sometimes gets their lemonade (yum and yum!) but I don’t think we’ve had the shakes. What kind do your kids get?

February 18, 2017 at 2:52 pm
  • Reply Kim K

I have never been to Johnny Rockets, but I like Sonic’s chocolate shakes.

February 17, 2017 at 12:03 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

I haven’t tried Sonic but lots of our Moms are calling it their top pick! We will have to go for sure. Do you make up a special creation or just go mainstream with vanilla or chocolate? What do your kids like? What do you recommend?

February 18, 2017 at 3:20 am
      • Reply Kim K

I am a chocolate lover so I get the Sonic chocolate shake or hot fudge shake. Occasionally, I get the banana shake as I love it, too. I think you would enjoy any of their shakes.

February 19, 2017 at 12:41 am
        • Reply Katrina Sherk

There is a hot fudge shake? Sonic here we come! I heart hot fudge sundaes and can’t wait to try the shake! I know two who would LOVE a banana shake – what a great option. One of our sweet Mamas said Sonic will make you any flavor shake you want? Have you ever tried one with lots of ingredients? What flavors do your kids get?

February 19, 2017 at 6:37 am
  • Reply Jocelyn Brown

I love the shakes at Sonic when I get the chance to go!

February 17, 2017 at 8:05 pm
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

I haven’t had Sonic shakes! Can you believe it? We always get the slushies 🙂 We know have Sonic shakes on our list of must try. I guess you can make your own creations? Whatever types of flavors you want – is that right? What do you get? How about the kids?

February 18, 2017 at 3:17 am
  • Reply Teresa Francis

Delicious shakes at Rockets! Have not had a shake in a loooong time.

February 18, 2017 at 1:42 am
    • Reply Katrina Sherk

Yes! In the old fashioned metal cup and they bring you the extra! LOVE them! Once they had a special Butterfinger shake that my son ordered and it was amazing 🙂 What is your flavor? What do your kids get?

February 18, 2017 at 3:16 am
  • Reply Kim brandt

Yum

February 19, 2017 at 7:15 am
  • Reply Jack Przybylski

Love them at Sonics

February 20, 2017 at 7:09 am
  • Reply kelly tupick

I don’t have a Sonic around me but i did get a chocolate shamrock shake from McDonald’s and it was very good. It tasted like thin mints.

February 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
  • Reply Heather W

My family LOVES Johnny Rockets! We agree that their milkshakes are amazing. The music and fun family atmosphere makes me not worry about the volume of my kiddos (at least not as much as I would in many restaurants). My kids also love the faces that are made with their ketchup and always try to guess what type of face they will be served.

February 25, 2017 at 12:07 am
  • Reply Heather

I like Baskin Robbins or Red Robin!

February 25, 2017 at 1:45 am
  • Reply mary n

Sonic strawberry cheesecake!!!

February 25, 2017 at 4:06 am
  • Reply Denise Rosenberg

StrayDogs…here in Tucson has.the best milkshakes.

February 25, 2017 at 2:38 pm
  • Reply Cheryl Mercado

I’ve heard In n Out have great shakes!

February 25, 2017 at 4:54 pm
  • Reply Maureen

Yum, can’t wait to try…I haven’t been to rockets. Thanks for sharing!

February 26, 2017 at 4:28 pm